Sunday, June 17, 2012

On 6-24-12 Deuteronomy 10:12-22; 16:18-20 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson, herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as The Heart of the Law aka Love God; Love People.

The Heart of the Law
Or
Love God; Love People
Deuteronomy 10:12-22; 16:18-20
International Sunday School Lesson
June 24, 2012



Commentary
By
Jed Greenough




I know that some of you who read my words are like me but that most are not and at times the thought consumes me.  Your initial thought to that must be something like, “we are all different” or “that is a little conceited don’t you think?”  But take it from me, I don’t want you to be like me, like me, but rather I am consumed with the desire that everyone have a similar characteristic.  This is summed up in the first two verses from today.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13

And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?

Again, before you think I am holding myself up to be more than I should, let me say I mess up daily, but I get up again and I know that what God is asking of Israel here in today’s scripture is something He shouldn’t have to ask of us.

I often wonder how many visit this blog as they prepare for Sunday School not out of a passion for Him but for a variety of reasons that might range from obligation, to habit, to create false appearances, even because of a certain man or woman that attends your class.  I hope that in the end for you that don’t have the need “to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul” that eventually that will come, that your heart will be circumcised and that you will be then consumed to help others feel as you do.

I almost said it literally breaks my heart but that would be impossible wouldn’t it but you get what I mean don’t you, to read the first verse?  But a literal tear did come to my eye and I am not an overly emotional person but it really touches my heart to see that Moses must explain to His people that God is asking these things.

After he does that, it doesn’t get any easier to read as Moses feels he must lay out some reasons they should fear, love, serve, and honor and obey God.

For one thing, he says that it is for their own good but in case self-preservation isn’t enough Moses goes on.  Last week we touched a bit on one of the reasons for God’s Sabbath was so that Israel recognized God’s mastery over all creation and here we see it mentioned again in verse 14.  In pointing that out it serves to show how special the place is that God has put the people of Israel in by choosing them.  Moses says circumcise your hearts, which means just as the literal act of circumcision set apart those from Abraham forward (Genesis 17) as being His so would this figurative cutting of the heart show that Israel was God’s.  Having one’s heart in this manner shows the rest of the world that they were His.

As Moses continues, he reminds them that their God is the only god just as he did in Deuteronomy 6:4.  They didn’t need to make a god for rain and a god for harvest or a god for fertility, no they had in Him the only real God.

Their God, Moses reminds them is a fearsome God with mighty and awesome ways but He is also their God who is one of love.  In verse 15 I like how Moses words it, “the Lord set His affection on your forefathers and loved them…”  The God of love who defends widows and orphans and takes care of the aliens, and so Moses in this way reminds them that they should act as well.  Which we see again in the verses covered by 16:18-20. 

For us as Christians we always have to ask how the Old Testament lessons apply.  Last week I told you that the three parts of the Sabbath did not apply to you but I said that the principles and the character as they deal with God still do apply.  And today if Moses were here he would still be able to apply these words from Deuteronomy to you.



For Discussion:

1.      Have people share with the group what they think when they read, “fear the LORD your God.”
2.      For those who don’t currently passionately act as it says in verse 12, “to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul” but want to have that passion please do as advised elsewhere in Deuteronomy, “you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul.” Deuteronomy 4:29
3.      Are those where you worship encouraged regularly that they should seek, serve and love God in this manner?
4.      If you care to address this matter, we talked about having a sense of urgency for this back on 10-16-11 when we looked at Ecclesiastes 11:9-12:7, 13.
5.      Concerning 10:20, discuss how we can hold fast to God.
6.      Do a concordance search and study on God and the alien or foreigner, God and fatherless, God and the widow, God and justice.
7.      Today’s 16:18-20 has reminded me of a time when Moses took on too much.  Is too much expected of your Minister/Pastor/Preacher similar to Moses?  Read Exodus 18:13-26.




Upcoming Adult Sunday School Class Commentaries


7-1-12:    Samuel Administers Justice 1 Samuel 7:3-11, 15-17 or 1 Samuel 7:3-17
7-8-12:    David Embodies God’s Justice 2 Samuel 23:1-7; 1 Chronicles 18:14
7-15-12:  Solomon Judges With Wisdom and Justice 1 Kings 3:16-28; 2 Chronicles 9:8
7-22-12:  A King Acts on a Widow’s Behalf 2 Kings 8:1-6






Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment