Sunday, November 25, 2012

On 12-2-12, Ephesians 1:3-14will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson, herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Blessed in Christ or Spiritual Blessings in Jesus Christ.

Blessed in Christ
aka
Spiritual Blessings in Jesus Christ
 Ephesians 1:3-14
International Sunday School Lesson
December 2, 2012



Commentary
By
Jed Greenough


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  John 1:1-3

This day I hope that the majority of us are not going to leap from place to place all over the Internet trying to find commentary that fits our theology with regard to what we read in today’s scripture from Ephesians.
Some will get perturbed at one teacher and never return for their view again while another teacher will get a new follower.  At least, that is until they write something that sends the student fleeing again!
I don’t think that should be how we study together because I don’t think that division and debate make God very pleased as opposed to fellowship which glorifies Him.  So let’s agree that though we often agree sometimes we disagree, okay?
So rather than get hung up on the debatable let’s get together on those wonderful things that are found in this scripture from Ephesians.  Things like: praise to God, spiritual blessings, the fact that we are chosen, that we will be holy and blameless, that we are loved, that we will be heirs, God’s grace, redemption, forgiveness, salvation and Christ’s rule over all.
It is this that I hope that all of us can see is the beauty regardless of the translation you use in what we read today.  To me it just overflows with beauty and love and commitment and acceptance.
For me it is that word acceptance that is key.  I accept those three verses from John 1 above that I began with.  I don’t have the ability to comprehend how God and Jesus are not created beings that have always been.  Nor is it easy to wrap my mind around that without Jesus nothing exists.  I do however accept these things.
God said that His ways and His thoughts are not like ours and are so much above what ours are (Isaiah 55) so that we can accept those things that we don’t happen to understand because we cannot understand them.
I am very happy that unlike the utility, gas, insurance and grocery bills there are some things that I don’t have to worry about.  No, instead I find that I am a child of God’s because of His great grace.  I am to be the “praise of His glory”. 
It isn’t about me and I accept that.  Do you?


For Discussion:

1.      Discuss the qualities of God.
2.      Discuss the blessings we as Christians receive according to this scripture.
3.      Discuss the history of Ephesus.
4.      The idea of our unity as Christians is an important part of Ephesians if you read ahead.  Discuss this scripture in light of that.
5.      Discuss that these blessings mentioned in verse 3 are in the heavenly realms.
6.      Discuss what redemption means.
7.      Discuss how we can teach something that not all agree with and not drive a wedge between ourselves. 

Upcoming Adult Sunday School Class Commentaries


12-9-12:   One in Jesus Christ Ephesians 2:11-22
12-16-12: Part of One Body in Christ aka Unity in the Body of Christ Ephesians 4:1-16
12-23-12: Alive in the Light of Christ aka Live in the Light John 1:1-5, 14; Ephesians 5:1, 2, 6-14
12-30-12: Christ’s Love for the Church Ephesians 5:18-6:4 or Ephesians 5:21-6:4




Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment