Sunday, October 20, 2013

On 10-27-13, Genesis 28:1a, 10-22 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as The Blessing Passes to Jacob

The Blessing Passes to Jacob
Genesis 28:1a, 10-22
International Sunday School Lesson
October 27, 2013



Commentary
By
Jed Greenough


All right let’s just get it over with, a stone for a pillow!  Yep, that’s Jacob.  There I go superficially making assumptions again about these major characters of the Bible but I don’t feel that I am teaching an absolute, which is something I usually try to avoid, but rather in this case an opinion so I don’t feel too much trepidation in making my next statement.
I don’t feel that Jacob was very complex but rather a simple or base man.  Yes, there was his request of Esau’s birthright in exchange for some stew (Genesis 25) which certainly establishes him as an opportunist if nothing more.  There was the playing along with his mother’s scheme to take Esau’s blessing (Genesis 27).  Look ahead in Genesis and I believe you’ll see more examples.  But most importantly in my opinion, despite all Jacob must have heard about his dad and granddad and the most magnificent experiences they had in their receiving their promises and communications from God, Jacob had yet to have a relationship with God himself!
So from today’s scripture there are many things that you and I and Jacob and God all get from this that is shared with us today. 
First is that we can inherit some things but a relationship with God is not one of them.
Another thing that I am drawing an assumption about based on this and other evidence in the Bible, even though this example comes from a dream, is that the activity of angels is an ongoing, ever present, continuous task that they are engaged in here among us.  This format isn’t one where I will do all the groundwork citing examples of their activity but check it out and you will see that they are protecting, engaging, battling.  You might not know it but you could be entertaining one when you are taking care of a stranger (Hebrews 13:2).  All these examples are Biblical and therefore proven and I think comforting but not to be made more of than what it is as they are servants of God and the goal is still God’s glory not theirs.
Finally, I am confident we can also see that God wanted this relationship with Jacob and also demonstrates that He wants to be worshiped. 
I find it encouraging whenever I read these examples and I read of the love that God had for these examples in the Bible such as Jacob.  Why, because I know that I am more like those such as Jacob than I am other more inspiring characters of the Bible.  I might have used a woolen bag or something fashioned from an animal’s hide for my pillow but I can be pretty simple too.  In the end though I know God is patient, puts up with a lot of stupid activity but still forgives me and wants me to worship Him still.

For Discussion:
1.       If you explore commentary on the stone pillow you will see all the hoops people attempt to jump through to explain it away due to its seeming absurdity from using symbolism to original language meanings.  There was one stone; it was used as a pillow.  This one stone he had placed under his head was set up as a pillar.  Discuss if you wish but don’t get lost in it!
2.       Discuss examples of angelic activity in the Bible
3.       Discuss examples of angelic activity among us now
4.       Now discuss how too much attention or glory is given to angels
5.       Discuss whether you believe Jacob had a relationship at this point with God
6.       Discuss the role of parents but how one cannot truly inherit a relationship with God
7.       Discuss why the Lord needed to appear to Jacob
8.       Discuss Jacob saying, “If God will be with me…then the Lord will be my God.”

Upcoming Lessons

10-27-13    The Blessing Passes to Jacob Genesis 28:1a, 10-22
11-3-13     God Prepares for Deliverance Exodus 3:7-17
11-10-13    Beginning of Passover Exodus 12:1-14
11-17-13    Beginning of Freedom Exodus 14:13, 14, 21-30 or 14:21-30
11-24-13    Beginning of the Tabernacle Exodus 40:16-30, 34, 38


Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment