Monday, July 20, 2015

On 7-26-15, Micah 7:14-20 will be our Adult Sunday School/ Uniform Series/ International Sunday School Lesson, herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as God Shows Clemency or God’s Matchless Mercy

God Shows Clemency
 or 
God’s Matchless Mercy
Micah 7:14-20
July 26, 2015



Commentary 
by
Jed Greenough




I hope that many of you will learn a lot about the mercy of God this week I really do.  I feel God’s mercy and His patience in my life continually and I am glad that I have not taken it totally for granted although I must, I’m sure, to some extent, because in the end I am I must admit an unworthy creature.

This week however I am being drawn back to last week where I stressed the need for substance over symbolism and truly walking the walk and not just talking the talk.

When I read today’s scripture I realize that like last week used hyperbole to show how meaningless mere acts were to God (remember the use of the word thousands and the sacrifice of a first born child) we seem to see the same thing this week.

Nations (people of all types) are ashamed, they lose all their power, their hands go to their mouths, they lick the dust and crawl on the ground.  All this to show how truly magnanimous God can be.

I think that this has been shown out by the many people who have heard the gospel message and God’s gift of grace and come to faith. For some however this has not worked, why?

Could it be due to the example of many who have claimed this act of mercy and who are so called Christians that do not seem so different to non Christians who view them?

How affective would they be if they did merely what God wants?  Again from last week walk the walk of Micah 6:8, “He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”  

I dare say if we were better at doing that then truly people would react as the nations mentioned in today’s scripture and that is no hyperbole!




For Discussion:

  1. Discuss our examples to non believers
  2. Discuss when people have responded positively to your example
  3. Discuss when you’ve failed as an example
  4. Discuss God’s mercy
  5. Discuss in particular God’s “delight to show mercy”
  6. Discuss verse 17’s “they will turn in fear to the Lord”





Upcoming Lessons

August 2     Our Redeemer Comes or A Redeemer in Zion     Isaiah 59:15b-21 or 15-21







Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment