Sunday, September 8, 2013
On 9-15-13, Genesis 3:8b-17 or 3:8-17, 21, 23 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Knowledge of Good and Evil
Knowledge of Good and Evil
Genesis 3:8b-17 or 3:8-17, 21, 23
International Sunday School Lesson
September 15, 2013
The investigation begins with interrogation. The Judge who knows the answers anyway records them for our benefit. He could have just banished them without explanation but as we know in the end He had a plan to make all right again.
This week rather than comment as much as I usually do and then conclude with questions to hopefully spur your discussions lets concentrate on this theme of God having questions and knowing the answers already. Maybe some of these questions you’ll know the answers already as well!
1. In verse 8 we see the first example in human history of guilt. Discuss from this verse the things you see that resulted from their guilt?
2. Because according to the Bible no one has seen God John 1:18 read multiple translations versions of today’s scripture to get the sense of what is being said about God’s presence in verse 8 and discuss.
3. Discuss God asking what He already knew in verse 9?
4. Discuss God asking us as sinners and what we might answer about where we are.
5. Discuss Adam’s prompt and truthful answer at least as to why he hid.
6. Why was Adam afraid because he was naked?
7. Discuss why this nakedness is now an issue for them? What changed so that it was?
8. Was Adam shifting the blame to Eve in verse 12 or simply stating what happened?
9. Discuss the order of God’s questions.
10. Was Eve shifting the blame to the serpent or simply stating what happened?
11. God asked Adam what he had done. God asked Eve what she had done. He did not ask the serpent but said, “Because you have done this…” Discuss
12. Discuss verse 14 if it were read and taken literally.
13. Find and discuss a prophecy which can be linked to verse 15.
14. Discuss the latter half of verse 16.
15. Discuss what would be changing for them after reading 16-19.
16. Is the curse that resulted from Adam’s sin greater in a sense than Eve’s? Discuss verses 17-19
17. Discuss why Adam and Eve must be clothed now and not before.
18. How do you personally hide from God?
19. What shames us, what doesn’t and what should?
20. When our guilt convicts us do we react as Adam did? Do we answer as honestly as they did?
21. Discuss that even though this was a first offense we should see the nature of God and keep that in mind.
22. Discuss a couple’s first and only sin resulted in consequences for not just them but for all that followed.
23. What are the affects upon others of our sin?
24. Discuss How God feels as the sin of the world mounts up if this was what resulted after their one sin.
Have a great lesson!
9-22-13 An Everlasting Covenant Genesis 9:1, 3-6, 8-17 or 9:8-17
9-29-13 God Scatters the Nations Genesis 11:1-9
10-6-13 The Promise of a Future Genesis 15:5-21 or 15:7-21
10-13-13 A Promise to Sarah Genesis 17:15-17; 18:9-15; 21:1-7
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved