Sunday, September 1, 2013

On 9-8-13, Genesis 2:18-25 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as God’s Image: Male and Female

God’s Image: Male and Female
Genesis 2:18-25
International Sunday School Lesson
September 8, 2013

Commentary
By
Jed Greenough

I like to be alone.  I love peace and quiet I rarely even turn on the radio being content with my thoughts.  I remember even upsetting someone in a Sunday School when I said I was glad when Summer vacation was over so that I could have more peace.  They quickly said that they love their children more than anything.  I didn’t take the opportunity to remind that we are to love the Father even more than these but to explain that my days were often filled with prayer when alone.  Children, as much as I love them, can to use the words of Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, be a sweet distraction.
But when I am happy, concerned, and sick or excited though I may go to God in prayer at those times I need more, I need my wife.  The prayer is helpful and good but I need more to complete my needs and this my wife fulfills.  In doing so she completes me.
I don’t know how many years passed by before I truly understood what a help mate was which was a popular term when I got married.  I’m sure it came from today’s Genesis 2:20 which says man needed a helper.
A man and woman who are truly each others are the only way that two can become one in God’s eyes and in ours if we are totally honest.  God new it when He created Eve from Adam because nothing else existed that would do.  God is never half right about something.  He knew that man for woman, woman for man was the only way to bring it about.

For Discussion:
1.      Discuss the imagery you hopefully experienced and recall from your youth that dealt with today’s scripture
2.      I will never forget the impact that the book The Bible Story had on my life as a child due to its imagery.  Discuss how books such as these can be placed in many locations outside of church as a class project.
3.      Discuss your thoughts about this creation of all living things and how you relate it to non-Christians
4.      Discuss God’s creation as perfection until the first sin and how it was all done right the first time by God and that man is the one who gets it wrong
5.      Discuss relationships that help to demonstrate perfect unions of husband and wife








Upcoming Lessons:
9-8-13     God’s Image: Male and Female Genesis 2:18-25
9-15-13    Knowledge of Good and Evil Genesis 3:8b-17 or 3:8-17, 21, 23
9-22-13    An Everlasting Covenant Genesis 9:8-17 or 9:1, 3-6, 8-17
9-29-13    God Scatters the Nations Genesis 11:1-9


Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment