Sunday, November 30, 2014
On 12-7-14, Hebrews 1:1-9 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Worship Christ’s Majesty
Worship Christ’s Majesty
International Sunday School Lesson
December 7, 2014
It is hard to believe at first when you see how much time Paul had to spend in defending the superiority of Christ not just in today’s scripture but in a great deal of the book of Hebrews. But is it really?
How much does Christ need defending in the church today? It might not be overt but if what you are hearing more of in the church is a social gospel that might just be the case.
If, as we know that Christ is superior to the angels, how much more is He superior to preaching about financial advice or addiction?
Elsewhere in Hebrews 3 Paul talks of Jesus’ superiority to Moses. Of course we should know this but if we hear more about how to be a real man or how to be a family we may not come to know Jesus.
My firm belief is that we do indeed have to be concerned about defending Christ, teaching Christ, concentrating on the true gospel message. Don’t you think if Paul concentrated most of his efforts here than we should as well?
Paul had many different places to be in the building process that was the growing early church with fires to put out here and there thus the book of Hebrews was written. We however have but one church and I am confident that if we put our emphasis where it belongs then those worthy issues such as addiction, life roles, finances or all parts of a Christian’s life will mature as sanctification takes place.
I fear for many we assume have found Jesus but who have instead found a helpful space.
1. After reading the first two verses of Hebrews read the first two verses of John. I can’t tell you how stirring and beautiful I think these words are. Discuss if you agree.
2. More incredible words to discuss, “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word.”
3. In reference to verse 1, discuss what the Old Testament was “missing”.
4. Discuss what is said about angels in the first chapter of Hebrews.
5. What do people do that they should not with regard to angels? Discuss.
6. Discuss in what ways Jews exalted angels.
12-14-14 Make a Joyful Noise, Psalm 95:1-7a
12-21-14 Give Glory to God or Glory to God in the Highest, Luke 2:8-20
12-28-14 Worship God’s Son or In Awe of Christ’s Power, Matthew 14:22-36
1-4-15 Jesus’ Model for Prayer, Luke 11:1-13
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved