Monday, December 28, 2015

On 1-3-16, Genesis 29:15-30 will be our Adult Sunday School/ Uniform Series/ International Sunday School Lesson, herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as A Bride Worth Waiting For

A Bride Worth Waiting For
Genesis 29:15-30
January 3, 2016




Commentary 
by
Jed Greenough




I almost never read from week to week what others have to say about the current week’s scripture because I want to not lose “my voice”.  This is one week after I am done that I plan on making an exception.  It should prove interesting to see what every one is inspired to bring to the study table concerning this most interesting scripture.

I am not terribly knowledgeable what the marriage practices were in that day so that might take me off the mark.  And I am not terribly familiar with the wedding traditions either.  I might be way off base this week but what I see are the characters of the individuals involved.

Some of what I do involves a great deal of negotiation.  Seldom is a term put out there and accepted.  Rather there is the give and take that is expected and figured in until both parties are satisfied.

Laban showed some good character by offering to pay Jacob for his labors and Jacob showed his hand in this negotiation immediately.  I am sure that the pay choice might have come as a surprise to Laban but not Jacob’s feelings for his daughter so Laban went for the jugular, another indication of his character.

Jacob’s impetuous character or his romantic nature blinded him from what must have been a big part of an adult male’s business dealings, that being negotiation.  Jacob merely acquiesced.  

Laban’s character showed again with the ruse and the same Jacob showed up.

Jacob could have negotiated more favorable terms the first time such as first the daughter then the seven years.  And the second time, well you’ll have to forgive me but this is bordering on the less than intelligent.

Sacrilegious to say so?  Why should it be?  We are not all Solomon.  I think it is important that the Bible shows us the character, the strong and weak points of individuals if we are to understand and relate to them.  It makes it all the more real to me and thus relevant.

For Discussion:

  1. Discuss what you think of Laban.
  2. Discuss what you think of Jacob.
  3. Discuss how you think Jacob would not have recognized this was not Rachel.
  4. How do less than perfect characters in the Bible help you?
  5. Discuss other individuals in the Bible and their character.
  6. Look into what verse 17 means by “weak eyes”.  It varies from version to version and the word “but” plays in to this.
  7. Discuss the thoughts/feelings of Leah and Rachel.


Upcoming Lessons


1-10-16     The Most Beautiful Bride     Song of Solomon 6:4-12






Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment