Monday, January 7, 2013

On 01-13-13, Philippians 2:1-13 or 2:5-11 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson, herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Imitating Christ aka Jesus’ Humility and Exaltation.

Imitating Christ aka Jesus’ Humility and Exaltation
 Philippians 2:1-13 or 2:5-11
International Sunday School Lesson
January 13, 2013



Commentary
By
Jed Greenough


For those of you who study the lesson plan that is entitled “Jesus’ Humility and Exaltation” and the scripture for it of Philippians 2:5-11 please don’t think I am choosing any other group over yours.  But I must say that we will all be better served this week if we look at Philippians 2:1-13 and embrace the lesson title “Imitating Christ”.
You see if you come away with nothing else after your class and getting prepared if the idea of imitating Christ stays with you and with the students who make up the class Paul and any who teach on this lesson will have accomplished much!
Paul wanted to make sure that everyone who read or heard his words included themselves in the group of being like-minded.  That is why he used the word “any”.  If any had been encouraged by Christ, if any had been comforted, if any had any fellowship with the Spirit, if any had tenderness, any compassion, they too should take on the attitude of Christ.
Therefore any and every Christian should, “not think more highly of themselves than they ought.  They too should take on “the very nature of a servant,” just as Christ did even unto the point of death for all of us.
This idea of servant is a hard one as I know from my own personal experience but it is one that God has spoken to me from His word.  To quote from my About Me section of this blog, “As for the About Me part of this, it has been my concerted effort to not make my projects, my lessons, the things I feel compelled to teach to be about me, but rather about all of us: Christians and those that I hope aspire to be. God has put those of us that are Christians into roles of responsibility for each other. This is a commonly recurring theme for us to lift from the pages of the scripture just one example of which can be found in Matthew 24. God is expecting much of us with regard to each other and if you didn't know it, now you do!”
When we read of the encouraging and teaching we are to do for each other in the scriptures it shouldn’t just pass through your mind like you were reading a novel.  We aren’t just expected to become converted ourselves but to convert others.  That’s why we have what we know as the Great Commission. 
Yes, the end result is to glorify God but the glory comes about by our helping others to see that He is to be glorified.  We each are the servant in charge that Jesus is telling of in Matthew 24. 
For some of us this form of imitation of Christ in becoming a servant is a struggle and for others, you perhaps included, it is natural.  I for instance will admit that writing a commentary weekly in hopes that I can help you can at times be difficult.  Sometimes no pay and few comments from visitors can take its toll but a servant isn’t paid and is expected to perform their duty.  In the end the real Master will express what needs to be!

For Discussion:

1.      Read Matthew 24:36-51
2.      Isaiah 45:23
3.      Find those examples from Isaiah where the theme of a servant is found.  My personal favorite is Isaiah 53.
4.      Discuss how Satan did the opposite of the example of Christ.  Do a verse by verse comparison.
5.      I wrote the following in my Bible some years ago concerning this passage, “I find it a great example of why the Bible is true!  Who would make up a God that humbles Himself?!”
6.      Verse 5 says that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, yes and amen but never forget the rest, “to the glory of God the Father.”
7.      If you ever want to make a note in your Bible concerning Regeneration, a great simple verse is Philippians 2:13 from today.
8.      Discuss examples you know of those who exhibit humility, consider others and have displayed a servant’s heart.
9.      Discuss how you may have personally or how you may know of others who become “burned out”.
10.  Discuss how your class might develop a program or class for your church called something like “The Servant”.


Upcoming Adult Sunday School Class Commentaries




1-20-13:   Knowing Jesus Christ aka Gaining in Jesus Christ Philippians 3:1-11 or 3:7-11
1-27-13:   Standing Firm in Christ aka Stand Firm Philippians 3:12-4:1 or 3:12-16
2-3-13:     Focused Solely on Christ aka The Supremacy of Jesus Christ Colossians 1:12-23 or 1:15-20
2-10-13:   Raised with Christ Full Life in Christ Colossians 2:6-15




Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it took me so long to do this, but perhaps this is the right time. Your blog today said 'Sometimes no pay and few comments from visitors can take its toll...' Let me assure you I read this every week when preparing to teach my sunday school lesson and it always blesses me! It gives me another perspective, and always makes me think and study harder. Keep up the good work, even when you don't receive comments, for your labor is not in vain!! Thank you and God Bless you for doing what HE has called you to do. Continue to be faithful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for teaching. I hope you have a great lesson!

      Delete