Sunday, December 21, 2014

On 12-28-14, Matthew 14:22-36 will be our Adult Sunday School/Uniform Series/International Sunday School Lesson herein is my commentary. This lesson is known by some as Worship God’s Son or In Awe of Christ’s Power

Worship God's Son
Or
In Awe of Christ’s Power
Matthew 14:22-36
International Sunday School Lesson
December 28, 2014
                                                                                 


Commentary
By
Jed Greenough

You of little faith why did you doubt?”
Faith, that is really what this scripture for today’s lesson is about for me today.  We can’t doubt Peter had it, he said, “tell me to come to you on the water.”  What’s more he meant it.  We don’t read of hesitation at this point just that he got down out of the boat and walked on the water!
Being His first water walking experience with waves that could toss a boat it must have been an experience to say the least.  I won’t criticize him for his panic.  I’m not sure Jesus does either but just says, “you of little faith why did you doubt?”  Another word I’d like to insert in there is the one found in some translations, instead of doubt put waver.  When I read, “why did you waver?”  I can see things from Peter’s view point a bit more.
I’m afraid I’m all too familiar with the waver part.  My problem is I don’t like doing more than one thing at a time.  Walking on water is one thing but throwing some tossing waves in their can mess me up in my faith walk.
I’m cruising along and I’m doing really well concentrating on Him and His face and then other distractions like work, family or health draw my attention and though I still have faith I’ve lost my concentration on it.
I know many of you know how to balance your faith with these things and you really need to realize that a lot of your brothers and sisters don’t have that gift.  Have you ever considered how much help you could be to them?
Well the people at the end of today’s scripture didn’t have any trouble mustering and keeping the faith they had.  They were dying or hurting so bad.  They wanted relief.  They had all heard the stories, so many they developed a faith so sure they felt that just touching his clothes would be enough to heal them. 
They were right and they were rewarded for their faith.  Imagine if we could concentrate like that all the time even through distractions in our walk of faith.  Pray about it!
For Discussion:
1.      If you waver, discuss it.
2.      If you used to waver but things are better now, discuss that.
3.      If you have managed to not be distracted discuss your ability.
4.      Discuss what Peter went through.
5.      If you are hurting, discuss what you would do to just touch the edge of Jesus’ cloak.
6.      Do you have a time of day when your faith wavers most?  For me it happens the worst in the middle of the night rather like the boat the disciples were in at night.
7.      Discuss if you fear what might happen if you asked Jesus to call you out into the “water”.

Upcoming Lessons            
1-4-15        Jesus’ Model for Prayer, Luke 11:1-13
                                                                                                              
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment